Ever since I was a kid, I enjoyed playing sports, running, and lifting weights. But when my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, everything changed. I had to quit my job and become her full-time carer. I barely had time for myself, let alone for exercise. I felt stressed, depressed, and isolated.
I was thrilled about the free gym memberships for carers initiative. It was a lifesaver for me. Not only did it give me access to a state-of-the-art fitness center, but it also connected me with other carers who shared similar challenges and experiences. In this post, you’ll find sources like Silver and Fit that offer the benefit.
Get Free Gym Memberships For Carers
Free gym memberships for carers are a rare sight, but you can seek help from the sources mentioned below to find a place that allows you to stay in shape and keep your mental health in check, free of cost.
1. Care Source
Care Source offers free gym memberships for carers through the Active&Fit program, included in their Dental, Vision, and Fitness Plan at no extra cost. Members can choose from two main options:
- Access to an extensive network of fitness centers for the benefit year. This network includes popular gyms like LA Fitness, Snap Fitness, Anytime Fitness, and Planet Fitness. Members have the flexibility to switch fitness centers monthly if they wish.
- A home fitness kit option, which includes a variety of fitness categories. Some kits come with a wearable fitness device (like a Fitbit or Garmin), and members can access over 8,000 workout videos catering to all fitness levels. Additionally, the plan offers live lifestyle coaching focusing on exercise, nutrition, and more.
This fitness program is part of the optional CareSource Dental, Vision, and Fitness Plan, which provides allowances and coverage for dental and vision services. It’s designed to encourage healthy living and wellness among its members by providing accessible fitness options both in-person at gyms and virtually at home.
2. Silver and Fit
While Silver and Fit does not directly offer free gym memberships for carers, it does offer free or low-cost gym memberships and home fitness kits to eligible members of certain Medicare plans. When you are eligible and your health plan includes this benefit, you can register for the Silver & Fit program. Once registered, you have the option to choose between:
- A free or low-cost gym membership at a participating fitness center. The Silver&Fit program partners with more than 14,000 gyms and fitness centers across the United States, offering various amenities and classes tailored to older adults.
- Home exercise kits for those who prefer or cannot go to a gym. These kits focus on exercises like tai chi, yoga, Pilates, dance, and strength training and include DVDs and instructional booklets.
Additionally, the program offers a range of other features, including a mobile app for streaming exercise videos, online classes on healthy aging, activity tracking with wearable fitness devices, and a quarterly newsletter with health and fitness tip
Silver Sneakers does not specifically mention offering free gym memberships for carers or caregivers as part of its program. The program focuses mainly on providing these benefits to eligible seniors through their health insurance or Medicare plans.
When you are a carer looking for gym membership options, you must explore other fitness programs or check with local gyms or community centers for available programs suitable to your needs.
To enroll in the Silver Sneakers program, you must have Medicare, making it more geared toward older adults. There is no formal age requirement, but the program is rarely offered to individuals under 65.
4. Renew Active
Renew Active by UnitedHealthcare offers a fitness program for the body and mind, providing members with various benefits, including a free gym membership. However, the information available does not specifically mention free gym memberships for carers or caregivers as part of the Renew Active program.
Renew Active also offers free gym membership through insurance, online exercise classes, personalized fitness programs, brain health programs, and other social activities. Renew Active is available to members of certain UnitedHealthcare Medicare plans at no additional cost.
The program’s offerings are primarily aimed at seniors and Medicare beneficiaries, and eligibility is typically based on being a qualifying UnitedHealthcare Medicare plan member.
Free Gym Memberships For Carers: Discounted Plans
While there are sources that offer free gym memberships for low-income individuals and families, there are no specific programs that offer this facility for carers yet. Here’s a list of programs that offer gym memberships at discounted rates:
- Hussle Gyms: Carers can receive a 15% discount at Hussle Gyms, which provides access to a network of gyms, pools, and spas across the country.
- Pure Gym: Offers low-cost 24-hour gym memberships with a 10% discount for carers. New customers can also benefit from a reduced joining fee.
- Peloton: Provides various discounts for carers, including discounts on Peloton Bike, Peloton Guide, Peloton Bike+, Peloton Tread, and a 60-day free trial followed by a reduced monthly rate for the Peloton App.
- Core Balance Fitness: Offers a 10% discount to carers on their fitness products.
- Hotpod Yoga: Provides the first class free for carers.
- The Wellbeing Focus: Offers a 25% discount for carers on yoga memberships, saving on yearly memberships.
- Starks Fitness: Provides an exclusive 50% off on monthly app subscriptions for carers.
- Fiit: Offers a 30-day free trial plus 25% off the No. 1 rated fitness app.
- Village Gyms: Provides the first month free, followed by a discounted monthly rate for carers.
People Also Ask
Here are 3 most asked questions regarding free gym memberships for carers that every applicant needs to know answers of:
How long are free gym memberships for carers valid?
The free gym memberships for carers are valid for 12 months from the approval date.
Can I only use the participating gym’s facilities?
You can use any participating gym within your local area as long as you book your sessions in advance and follow the gym’s rules and regulations.
How do I cancel or reschedule my gym session?
You need to contact the gym directly and give at least 24 hours notice before canceling or rescheduling your session. Otherwise, you may lose your booking and be charged a cancellation fee.
The Bottom Line
Free gym memberships for carers support their physical and mental health, as well as their social well-being. Carers often face many challenges and stressors in their daily lives, and they deserve to have access to affordable and convenient fitness facilities. By offering free memberships, we can show appreciation and gratitude for their invaluable work and help them improve their quality of life.